PROTECT THIS HOUSE. I WILL.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Variety Shields Pain and Injury

 

Recently, two of my athletes have been downed with injury and it has encouraged me to analyze the methods in which I train my sports participants as well as the adult populations I train.  After much soul searching I came to these conclusions:

1.  Injury is inevitable.  Prevention is not a certainty, it is only some armor against minor to mid level threats to the body.

2.  Pre habilitation exercises have their place, and should be used, but again are not a cure all in and of themselves.

3.  The more angles you attack a joint, the better the chance you will stave off injury.

It is often seen that soccer coaches run their athletes into various lower leg overuse injuries, or swim coaches put off a dry land program to swim more.

Bringing new modalities or movement patterns into an overall athletic program will lead to enhanced coordination, muscle/joint synergy, and of course injury prevention

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee