PROTECT THIS HOUSE. I WILL.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Coach/Strength Coach Interaction

Had another Great workout with my swimmers today from the WTRC Sharks.  Their new coach (I won't mention his name, because I haven't asked him if I could) is a well known professional triathlete, and ex-collegiate swimmer who truly understands the interaction between a coach and a strength coach.

I have dealt with so many control freak sport coaches, that don't know the first thing about conditioning but insist on doing it themselves, so they don't loose the grasp on their athletes.

I wish more coaches could witness the interaction this new coach and I have, and the positive transformation it has made to the kids in such a short time.  Their attitude is better, they are working harder than ever, and the interaction of the two coaches, with their two specialities is helping blend the in and out of water performance.

There is a reason I don't coach football, or basketball, or soccer, it is because I feel I don't know enough about it.  There are still so many sport coaches that read an article written by their favorite sport  college or pro coach, or get a program from a college clinic, and give it to their athletes blindly without the slightest ideas about the ramifications.

Most college conditioning programs are designed for spectacular athletes, the top 1% that the country's high schools have to offer.  They often times are not appropriate for the average high school athlete.

Leave the design and implementation to a coach that only coaches strength and conditioning, and we will leave the sport coaching up to you.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee