PROTECT THIS HOUSE. I WILL.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

In search of athletes that "get it"

This is an observation on athletes that I see, coaches I consult with and parents. 

I have the opportunity and pleasure to train some very gifted and hard working athletes, and I also have crossed paths with what I call "osmosis athletes".

An osmosis athlete is one that the parents send to a strength coach, or sports trainer, in hopes that standing close to that coach or trainer will some how impart some performance improvement.  This improvement is not through hard work or high intensity during practices, no just showing up is thought to be enough to make them superstars.

In a world of instant gratification, and instant messaging answers, the younger generations have lost their way down the performance pathway.

All the supplements, sports drinks and secret Eastern Block training methods are not going to work with out putting out effort, and having appropriate discipline.

Smart, Hard work always wins.  End of Lecture.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee