PROTECT THIS HOUSE. I WILL.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Pre Workout/Race Nutrition

 

I wanted to put a piece together about pre and post workout nutrition.  I personally have been researching and playing around with different formulas for these two extremely important periods of time.  Pre workout is around 60-90 minutes before the workout.  The actual research is all over the place concerning timing, but I have found this time period for pre meals is pretty accurate.

What I have come up with is:

1 large cup of coffee

sweeten with sugar or honey

1 scoop of protein powder (whey protein)

add milk to taste.

The caffeine gives a spark, simple sugars prime the energy system and the milk and protein powder regulate absorbtion, of carbohydrate and arginine, an amino acid, become nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels allowing for higher blood carbon dioxide/oxygen turnover rates.  

Many of the researchers conclude that the drink should be milk based, to round out the protein profile, and I agree, but I think it should be milk enhanced not based, because not all of us process milk well.  Not a good thing before a long bike ride or run!  The same goes for oatmeal or other fiber sources.  They are a drain on the hydration levels, and can cause intestinal problems.

 

I will discuss post workout nutrition this week.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee