PROTECT THIS HOUSE. I WILL.

Friday, July 20, 2007

True test of fitness?

I am curious about a true test of fitness.  I had a debate with an accomplished friend this week about this subject.  He is an accomplished marathon runner and I have a lifting background, he is 150# and I am 240#, so we have different perspectives.  He dislikes any test that has a lifting component such as the pump and run (bench press and a 5k), and I disputed the the almost solely bodyweight ones such as triathlon, as it is unfair to the heavier competitors. 

 Does anyone else have any ideas?  Please let me know. 

I think the perfect test would include many facets such as power, endurance, strength, etc.  Off the top of my head, an overhead shotput toss, 1 mile run,, metronome paced push ups, standing broad jump, pullups, and 200 meter sprint.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." Bruce Lee